+30 2310870670or at email@example.com
All hotels - restaurants
- Total results 3
- Gytheio or Gythio 3
Areopolis is the seat of the Municipality of Itilo. Is a village in western Mani of Lakonia Peloponnese. It is historic settlement, which maintained the independence of the Turkish domination. Judged preserved until now holding the traditional color of Mani.
Older Areopolis community Oitylou province of Laconia included the villages and settlements Dryalos, Kouskouni, Krialianika, Lagokoili and ports. The population of Areopolis in 1950 numbered 1,380 inhabitants and the whole community then 1,940 inhabitants. According to data from the National Statistical Office in the census of 2011 had 888 inhabitants.
Sightseeing monuments are the churches of the settlement:
- The Archangels, metropolis of Areopolis, the historic square of March 17, 1821, with important sculpture temple reliefs and excellent decoration. The impressive multi-storey bell tower is the city's entire trademark.
- Small, simple churches of Agia Triada, Agia Kyriaki and St. Peter, the old western part of the city.
- The St. John the Baptist of Mavromichali with excellent frescoes of 1746 and 1868.
- The Virgin Georgianiki (mid 18th cent.) Of Mavromichali with beautiful folk reliefs and murals with icons.
- Saint Nicholas (1807) with twelve-sided dome and interesting wooden loft.
- The double church of St Mary and St Charalambos Square Niarchakou, with frescoes of 1869 and interest stepped steeple stone reliefs.
- The church of Agios Athanasios Square Immortals.