+30 2310870670or at email@example.com
All hotels - restaurants
- Total results 3
- Gytheio or Gythio 3
At the entrance of dual or Messinian Mani or located outside the historical village named Rod.
It is the western gate of Mani just 6 km southeast of Kalamata. The Rod renamed so the community Selitsa and settlements Selitsa Upper and Lower Selitsa also renamed Upper and Lower Rod Rod respectively in 1956.
With the creation of communities was community settlements Holy Zion, Salty, Upper and Lower Rod. Since 1998 the law "Kapodistrias" now belongs to the new municipality Kalamata. The name Verga said due to the wall that had made the incurable, to deal in the 22 to 24 June 1826 to 6,000 Turk-Egyptians Ibrahim Pasha.
The wall that had built seemed remotely rod had two feet tall, had a length of about 1500 meters with battlements and two polemopyrgous and direction from the mountain to the sea, and was made of dry stone. In this Maniates fence stopped the terrible army of Ibrahim's causing big losses. There are still many pieces of the wall that starts from a rocky location below Verga and reached the sea, which now has erected a monument Maniatis warrior.
Kato Verga is built on the west side of Mount Basket, and a nice hillside location with fantastic views over the city of Kalamata. After 1960 the position Agrilia the road Kalamata - Kardamili - Areopolis, created the current coastal village, 5km. from Kalamata. There forefront as the attraction of Vergas beach with amoudera the beaches or the pebble beach and southern areas like Salty, the Avia, the beaches and the citrate.
Ano Verga Up in the east side of Mt cart at an altitude of 700 m between elatopefka and krystalopiges. Is fraught with many tiny church atop as Saint Panteleimon, St. John the Faster, St. John the Evangelist, St. Paraskevi, Agios Dimitrios and Agios Charalambos. On top of the mountain are Saint George and the Prophet Elijah in the village and the Byzantine church of St Nicholas was the cathedral of the village. In place Sklivas is the cave of Vachaonos, as called by the locals, with stalactites and stalagmites, through which they communicated the kings of Sparta and Messenia, according to tradition. At Agios Nikolaos found in an excavation underneath the big stone relics iron bodies the old people used instead of bell. Aria also in place, marked Sanctuary unknown church with frescoes and three old graves.